Migraine- what does migraine mean
Migraine is a form of headache. The word Migraine is a corrupted form of the word ‘hemicrania’, which meant one sided headaches. Commonly people tend to believe that migraine is always one sided. But it is not entirely true. In some cases, the pain is one sided while in others it is generalized headache. The pain may be present in the whole of the head.
Understanding Migraine headaches (माइग्रेन क्या होता है)
The pain is usually throbbing, pulsating and bursting in character. As mentioned earlier, pain is one sided or may involve the whole head. In some cases, pain even alternates sides. Sometimes the pain is on the left side while the next time, it may be on the right side.
Symptoms of Migraine Headaches (माइग्रेन के लक्षण)
The symptoms of migraine are –
- Pain may last for hours or even days.
- It is episodic in nature. The pain happens every once in a while with frequency varying from patient to patient. There are often long periods when there is no pain.
- As mentioned earlier, the pain may be throbbing or pulsating.
- It is often accompanied by other symptoms like nausea or vomiting.
- At the same time, there is increased sensitivity to light and sound. One is unable to bear light in any form, that is natural or artificial. This is known as photophobia. Patients prefer being in the dark rather than bear any light.
- Some patients feel relief after sleeping while others may not feel so.
- In some cases, the pain is preceded by some warning symptoms like flashes of light, temporary blindness or tingling sensation in the limbs. This is the aura of the headache. Some patients get such aura or warning signs while most of the patients do not have any such aura.
What causes Migraine or Headaches (माइग्रेन के कारण)
While there may not be an exact known cause of migraine headaches, there are a number of factors that are known to trigger headaches.
- The most common trigger is stress. This may be due to any reason. Mental stress has been known to trigger headache in almost all of the patients.
- Other triggers include going out in the sun. It is again a very common factor that triggers headaches.
- Improper sleep can also cause an episode of migraine.
- Another common trigger is staying hungry more than usual. If the eating routine of a patient is disturbed, it can cause headache.
- Loud noise is also another common trigger.
- Females may get it just before or during menses.
Home remedies for migraine or home treatment for headache (माइग्रेन का घरेलू उपचार)
A number of home remedies have been recommended here and there for treatment of migraine. These include apple cider vinegar, ice packs, cayenne pepper, chamomile and ginger. Although these home remedies may alleviate the symptoms marginally, they do not offer a permanent cure for headaches.
Cure for Migraine Headaches as opposite to treatment or pain relief
It is very important to understand the basic difference between getting relief and getting a cure. I often get patients who have been taking painkillers for years altogether to get relief from migraine headaches. Such medications are just that- painkillers that provide temporary pain relief. Often people look to some home remedies or some natural medicines. They soon get disappointed. The headache becomes a part of their life. They learn to live with the regular pain. It is difficult for them to even imagine that there can be a cure for migraine. They cannot even think that one day they will be able to lead a normal life, completely free from headaches.
But this is before they try homeopathy treatment for migraine headaches. Once they overcome the mental barrier and start homeopathic treatment, it is just a matter of a couple of months and they start forgetting that they used to have migraine. So effective are the homeopathic headache remedies and such is the power of Homeopathy.
Homeopathy for migraine headaches or Homeopathic treatment for headache (माइग्रेन का होम्योपैथिक इलाज)
Homeopathic philosophy does not favour the use of temporary painkillers or short cuts for the treatment of migraine or for that matter any disease. Homeopathy tries to go deep down into the cause of the problem and completely eradicate the tendency of a patient to have these migraine headaches now and then. That is why it takes some time for the medicines to show results. They do not have a short term or temporary effect like the allopathic painkillers. On the contrary, homeopathic medicines have long term effects and work to completely cure the migraine problem. After a couple of months of homeopathic treatment, patients are pleasantly surprised to experience a completely pain free or headache free life. This is the beauty of Homeopathy.
Best Homeopathic medicines for migraine or homeopathic medicine for headache (माइग्रेन की श्रेष्ठतम होम्योपैथिक दवाएँ)
In my experience of almost 20 years, I have used dozens of homeopathic remedies for this problem. The causes of the problem may vary from one patient to another and so will the final choice of the homeopathic remedy. For the sake of brevity and readability, I am giving the 5 best homeopathic medicines for migraines, as experience has taught me.
The 5 best homeopathic medicines for migraine or headache are –
Belladonna-best medicine for migraine with throbbing pains
Glonoine- best medicine for migraines with congestive headaches
Natrum Mur- best medicine for migraine due to grief or stress
Sanguinaria- best remedy for chronic headache that is right sided
Spigelia-best medicine for left sided headaches
This does not mean that these 5 homeopathic migraine remedies are enough to cure all cases or all patients. One often has to go beyond this list of homeopathic headache remedies and select another medicine which may feel more suitable to the individual patient.
1. Belladonna-One of the best Homeopathic medicines for throbbing headache
Belladonna is one of the most frequently used Homeopathic medicines for migraine headaches. The headache is violent and throbbing in character. There is throbbing pain in the temporal region. Pain starts suddenly without any prodromal symptoms. The pain is worse on touching, by noise or light and any jerk or sudden movement. Cold air or any exposure brings on the pain. The pain feels better from pressure. The face is hot and red. Cannot lie down as the pain increases in the supine posture.
2. Glonoine-One of the best Homeopathic medicines for migraine with congestive headache
When the headache is congestive in nature, Glonoine is very suitable homeopathic medicine for migraine with congestive headaches. There is a rush of blood to the head. Heat and redness of the face and head is seen. Pain is usually throbbing in character. There is a feeling of shocks in the head and this is in sync with the pulse. This headache is aggravated by going out in the sun or heat in any other form. The patient cannot tolerate any warmth around the head. He feels better from uncovering the head.
3. Natrum Mur-One of the best Homeopathic remedies for migraine from grief or stress
Natrum Mur is very commonly used for headache that arises from any mental grief or stress. It is also good for anaemic headaches. Such headaches are often seen in young girls. There is temporary blindness with the headaches. The pain is as if there are thousands of small hammers beating inside the head. The pain increases during the day and is better after sunset. Paleness of the face accompanies the headache. The pain may be triggered by eyestrain.
4. Sanguinaria-One of the best Homeopathic medicines for headache that occurs on the right side
Sanguinaria is a very commonly used homeopathic medicine for right sided pains. The pain often starts in the back of the head ie the occiput and settles into the right eye. There is distention of the veins of the head and the temporal region. The headaches are periodic in nature and occur on every seventh day. One gets relief from lying down and from sleeping.
5. Spigelia—One of the best Homeopathic remedies for migraine that is left sided
Spigelia is very useful homeopathic remedy for headaches that occur on the left side. In this medicine the pain settles over the left eye. There is a feeling as if there is a tight band around the head. The pain is aggravated by touch or motion.