What is a Nasal Polyp
If you have chronic obstruction of the nose, nasal voice, frequent sneezing, you could be having nasal polyps. For those who are not aware about nasal polyps, let me brief you what is a nasal polyp. First and foremost, it is worthwhile to understand that a nasal polyp is non cancerous. It is a teardrop shaped growth in the nasal cavity. At times, it forms in the sinuses or at the opening of the sinus into the nasal cavities. The polyp almost looks like a grape that has been peeled.
Nasal Polyps and their symptoms
When the nasal polyp is small, it is usually asymptomatic. There are hardly any symptoms when the size is very small. It is only the larger ones that create trouble.
- A large nasal polyp tends to block the nasal cavity. This causes difficulty in breathing.
- The nose remains obstructed and one has to breathe through the mouth. This allows a lot of viruses and bacteria to enter the body. These would have otherwise been stopped by the filters provided in the nasal cavity.
- The presence of frequent cold and cough in patients with nasal polyps in a large measure due to this very fact.
- At times, there is bleeding from the nasal polyps.
- A constant dropping of mucous from the posterior nares is another common symptom that is seen.
- One also tends to lose the sense of smell and taste.
- An increased incidence of allergies is often seen in patients with nasal polyps. It has often been seen that the patient is allergic to various things. Family history of allergies is also common.
- There is prevalence of sinusitis too in patients with nasal polyps.
- Difficulty in breathing and wheezing may also be present.
- Another observation is that nasal polyps occur more frequently in adults above the age of 40. Children below the age of 10 are rarely affected.
- They are more common in men than in women.
To know more about the causes, symptoms and incidence of nasal polyps, you can read my article on nasal polyps.
Treatment of Nasal Polyps- Why go for Surgery for nasal polyps when it can be cured with Homeopathy
The ENT surgeons usually recommend getting them removed surgically as Allopathic system of medicine has no medicinal treatment for nasal polyps. Our experience is that these nasal polyps are easily treatable and there is no need to get these nasal polyps removed surgically. Homeopathy is very effective in dealing with these little growths. Not only are the symptoms removed, the growths themselves vanish over a period of time. Homeopathy is uniquely placed as it takes into account not only the symptoms, but also the causes of the problem. Some causes are at times obvious. Others may not be obvious and are subtle. These may be the stress factors that the person had been undergoing before the problem surfaced. There may be some other things that need the experience of a seasoned homeopath to decipher.
5 best homeopathic remedies for nasal polyps
A number of homeopathic remedies are used in the treatment of nasal polyps. Which particular medicine will be suitable for which patient depends upon the symptoms of each individual patient. It is beyond the scope of this article to give the complete details of all the homeopathic remedies for nasal polyps and their indications.
Here are the 5 best homeopathic remedies for nasal polyps –
Calcarea Carb – best medicine for nasal polyps with loss of smell
Phsophorus – best medicine for nasal polyps with bleeding
Teucrium Marum varum – best remedy for polyps with nasal obstruction
Conium – best homeopathic medicine for polyps with acute smell
Hekla Lava – best treatment for nasal polyps with distended nose
This is by no means an exhaustive list. It is only indicative in nature. As mentioned earlier, it may require a seasoned homeopath to get a handle on the right homeopathic medicine that may be indicated for an individual.
1. Calcarea Carb-One of the best homeopathic medicines for nasal polyps with loss of smell
In cases where there is loss of smell along with other symptoms, Calcarea Carb is one of the best homeopathic medicines for nasal polyps. The nose seems stopped. The nostrils may be dry. Sneezing is persitent. At times, there is fetid discharge that is yellowish in colour. The patient is very sensitive to cold air and cold weather. He ends up takeing cold at every change of weather. He has increased appetite along with the symptoms of cold. The patient is usually fat and sweats profusely on the head. The sweating on the head is present even at night and the pillow gets completely soaked in sweat. The symptoms are worse in wet weather.
2. Phosphorus- One of the best homeopathic medicines for nasal polyps with bleeding
Where there is bleeding from the nose or from the polyp, Phosphorus is one of the best homeopathic medicines for nasal polyps. The polyp bleeds ever so often that the handkerchief remains bloody. The physical build of the patient is such that he is easily identified by his looks as the patient is usually tall, slender and thin. There is markedly increased thirst and that too for cold water. The nostrils move in a circular fan like motion while breathing. There is increased sensitivity to noise and light.
3. Teucrium Marum Varum- One of the best homeopathic medicines for polyps with obstruction of nose
When the nose remains obstructed, more on the side that one lies on, Teucrium Marum Varum is one of the best homeopathic medicines for nasal polyps. Polyps are often present near the posterior nares. There is sensation of something crawling in nostrils. Sneezing and watery discharge from the eyes are also frequently present. There is chronic cold and large mucous plugs or clinkers are discharged frequently.
4. Conium- One of the best homeopathic medicines for nasal polyps with acute smell
Where the sense of smell is acute along with other symptoms, Conium is one of the best homeopathic medicines for polyps. There is purulent discharge from the nose. Frequent sneezing is also present. A sense of dryness keeps troubling the patient. There is obstruction of nose, more so in the morning.
5. Hekla Lava- One of the best homeopathic medicines for nasal polyps with distended nose
In cases where the large polyps end up distending the nose, Hekla Lava is one of the best homeopathic medicines for polyps. Headache is often present along with the nasal symptoms.