By Dr Harsh Sharma, DHMS, BHMS
Published May 25, 2016, Last updated July 11, 2018
In the earlier two posts related to Dengue fever, we have covered the cause, symptoms, treatment and prevention in the first post and its diagnosis in the second post. In this article, we are covering in greater detail the commonly used homeopathic medicines for Dengue and Dengue Haemorrhagic fever. For the sake of a new reader, I am giving a few brief points about its cause, symptoms and prevention.
Cause of Dengue Fever
Dengue fever is a name given to the fever that is caused by the Dengue viruses. There are 4 types of viruses known as Dengue-1, 2, 3 and 4. These viruses are spread by the Aedes Egypti mosquitoes. These Aedes Egypti mosquitoes inject the different viruses into the bloodstream as they bite a human being. Once the virus is injected, it proliferates quickly and attacks the blood cells of the host.
Symptoms of Dengue Fever
- The characteristic symptoms of this fever are the intense body aches that it causes.
- There is high grade fever.
- Along with the fever, there is pain in the legs, arms, eyes and head. The pain is felt deep inside the bones and is so severe that it feels as if the bones of the body have been broken or fractured. That is why it is known as break bone fever.
- It often causes haemorrhages or bleeding from various body parts. This is called Dengue Haemorrhagic fever and is an emergency situation.
Prevention of Dengue Fever
- It is very important that one should take care of one’s surroundings and not allow water to collect. In case water gets collected in coolers or tyres or ponds, this water becomes a breeding ground for the mosquitoes to proliferate.
- Wearing full sleeves and covering oneself properly is a very important aspect which is often overlooked. This is the best thing that you can do on a personal level.
- Use of mosquito nets and mosquito propellants also go a long way in preventing it.
Dengue Fever Treatment
When it comes to treatment of Dengue fever, it is pertinent to note a few salient points. As we know by now, this is a viral fever. Allopathic system of medicine has hardly any treatment for any viral fever. That is precisely why Allopathy has no cure for Dengue fever. One has to submit oneself to the mercy of Almighty God to see oneself through this disease.
Homeopathic Treatment of Dengue Fever
Thankfully, Homeopathy has an answer for Dengue fever. The Homeopathic medicines are time tested and have been in use for almost two centuries. They have been used all over the world and have shown very good results. The reason for this almost miraculous result is that Homeopathy does not try to tame individual viruses. It just strengthens the body’s immunity and allows it to form antibodies against the offending antigens. These offending antigens may be viruses or bacteria; it does not matter. Nature has provided a very robust immune system to humans. This immune system is capable of dealing with such threats. At times, it just needs a little gentle support and this is all that is needed to help the immunity do the job it is meant for.
Homeopathic medicines for Dengue Fever
As per my experience of treating Dengue fever, I am giving below the 5 best homeopathic medicines. These medicines have been found very helpful in treating dengue fever cases.
Here are the 5 best homeopathic medicines for Dengue fever-
It must be mentioned here that this list of medicines is not in any way an exhaustive list. There are other medicines also that are used for the treatment of dengue fever as per the symptoms of each individual case.
1. Eupatorium Perfoliatum for dengue fever with bone breaking pains
It is the most suitable remedy for the treatment of Dengue fever as the symptoms of this medicine almost completely mimic that of Dengue fever. It is precisely for this reason that this medicine is called ‘Bone Set’, as it is able to relieve the terrible bone pains that accompany the Dengue fever. It has the same sort of deep bone pains that are almost excruciating in nature. The pain is present in the limbs and the muscles and accompanies a fever which is usually high. There is usually throbbing type of pain in the head. Pain may be felt in the occipital or the back part of the head and also on the top of the head. There is soreness in the eyes or the eyeballs.
2. Bryonia – Homeopathic remedy for dengue fever with intense thirst
This medicine also has pains in the whole of the body and the upper as well as the lower limbs along with high grade fever. The pains are usually stitching and tearing sort of pains. The two distinguishing features of this medicine are increased thirst and that the pains and all sorts of sufferings of the patient are aggravated by motion. In fact, motion of any and every sort tends to aggravate the pains in the body and the limbs. Whenever the patient tries to walk or move or even turn in bed, the pains and the suffering become intolerable. He feels better while at rest and does not want to move. There is so much dryness of the mouth, tongue and other mucous membranes that patient wants to drink a lot of water and ends up drinking a lot at one go. The taste of the mouth is bitter.
3. Phosphorus – Homeopathic medicine for haemorrhagic dengue fever
It is one of the best homeopathic remedies for the haemorrhagic dengue fever. There is burning and numbness of the hands, arms and feet. Intense thirst accompanies the fever, so much so that the patient wants to have cold water or even chilled water. Hemorrhage from any and every part or orifice of the body may be seen. The patient may feel unusually hungry.
4. Rhus Tox – Homeopathic remedy for pains relieved by motion
It is indicated by the muscular soreness and pains in the body which are relieved only while in motion. The patient cannot rest as it is the worst position for him. The tongue gets coated white while the tip of the tongue remains red and forms a red triangle at the tip.
5. Carica Papaya- Homeopathic remedy for improving platelet count
Carica Papaya is a homeopathic remedy made from papaya fruit. It is a common fruit and its seeds are used to make a homeopathic remedy. It has been seen that it improves the platelet counts in patients whose platelets are falling.